Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

The Smoking Tire - 2015 Audi S3 Review

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
[video=youtube;7te_qc5bZlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7te_qc5bZlk[/video]
While in Europe the Audi S3 is available as a hatchback, sedan and cabriolet, in North America the only choice is the sedan, marketed simply as the 2015 Audi S3.

U.S. fans of performance compacts from the VW Group also have the possibility of buying the 2015 VW Golf R hatch, which shares the powertrain with the Audi S3. Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire recently took the 2015 S3 for a drive and discovered it?s a competent sports sedan.

The 300hp 2.0-liter turbocharged engine mated to the six-speed dual-clutch transmission make it a quick car, with Audi claiming it does 0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds.

The reviewer says it certainly feels like it, thanks also to the Quattro all-wheel drive system. Among the car?s qualities he lists the precise steering, the quick and seamless shifts from the DSG, as well as the competent brakes.

Obviously, the 2015 Audi S3 has its weak points, such as the sound of the engine (not very inspiring), the cramped rear seats and... not much else. Farah really enjoyed driving it, as you can see in his ?one take? review posted below.

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Loving the twisty roads.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Nice review. Looking forward to getting my S3.

jlowe99

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Critical Review- the real story and not an affirmation review.

Ok guys, for those who own an S3 lets hear the real deal and not the "everything is wonderful" posts. What critiques do you have?

Here are mine so far.

1. The haldex awd system is the car's weakest element. In the snow it is just ok until you really want to play. I think it sucks but then I like to drive it like a rally car which it just won't do. I think the biggest issue is that Audi wants their cars to be "safe" not fun. The Haldex system feels like it throws power to either the front or rear axle when it senses slip but doesn't apportion it with any finesse. You end up with all the power at one axle or the other before it tries to figure out how much should be at each axle. Kind of like it is always a bit slow in figuring out what it should be doing. It also doesn't seem to know what to do when all 4 wheels are spinning. Does it put on the brakes to simulate an lsd or not. Not very confidence inspiring. It takes a lot of fun out of the car. I would like to track it in the rain but I'm worried that it would always be a bit late in transferring power to the appropriate axle. Any comments from those that track an S3 in the rain would be appreciated.

2. The paddles are about as cheap feeling as it gets. Plastic paddles....really!

3. What is with the grabby brake pedal? Do they think S3 drivers are old people that can't stop their cars on time? I can't believe how non linear the brake pedal is. Also I'll be swapping out the stock brake pads with ceramics. Why the German car companies want us driving around with dirty wheels from that nasty corrosive brake dust is beyond me.... well actually its just so you eat your rotors by the time the pads are done and they make more money.

Really minor nit... I like the stability control to stay off when I turn it off, not come back on and stay on when you turn on cruise control. I understand why they turn it on when you put on cruise but I wish it would turn off again when you turn off cruise.

Why can't I read a text and then click to call that person? Or am I missing something? (which is quite possible [^]

Lots of things I love about the car but I'd like to hear other comments.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
[MENTION=109]jlowe99[/MENTION] I agree with you on #2, the paddle shifters feel very cheap and I hate the fact that my car doesn't have memory seating. Every time my wife uses the car, it takes me 5-10 minutes to get the seat back to where I want it to be.

A/C doesn't seem to be powerful enough in the summer time.