Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

first Audi S3 stage 3 or RS3

bizzy522

Reactions
City
Boise
State
ID
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 TRD
Hello guys and gals! I joined this site to research what Audi I want. First and foremost I will put out there that I am a by no means rich! I am a flight paramedic and have about 30-40k to spend... preferably closer to 30. I have been out of the car scene for a while now. In my young and dumb high school days had a b18 swapped CRX with a 75 shot (yes, yes, I know). I have also owned modded eclipse gsx with a 50 trim turbo, then a SRT-4 with a gt3076 turbo. Back then I spent a lot of time at the drag strip. Then as it goes school, a wife, and a mortgage happened. Over the last several years I have had a new TRD tacoma, I really like my truck but truly do miss having a quick car. I dont want a rice rocket. I want a nice daily driver that is AWD with fun and usable power. I originally really liked the idea of an used s4, but realized an a3/s3/rs3 is probably more my style. I come from a turbo background so I think I would prefer a 2018 or newer. I began to look into the rs3. What a great car! Over 400 reliable whp with a simple flash. I started finding some used rs3s in the mid to high 40s. I could probably afford an rs3 if I put some down. But I think that realistically with the car note and the increased rs3 car insurance rates it would be a little out of my monthly payment comfort zone. So I think I am leaning towards the s3. I would initially do a stage 2 flash and look into an intake, IC, and exhaust. I really like the idea of down the road doing an ARP stage 3. I dont plan on taking it to the drag strip by any means.. just occasional fun here or there. So with that said my questions are:

1 Are the Stage 3 2018 Audi S3s on a 91 or 93 octane tune having many reliability issues? ARP advised that the kit is "turn key" but that is a lot more power over stock. I dont really want to have to continuously tinker with it. I pretty much want to do normal scheduled maintenance.

2. Would it be smarter to save up the extra money for a RS3 and do a stage 1 flash?

Cheers!

Reactions
City
Palmer
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Dude if I had your money. Id get a used S3 with low miles and Certified. Reason why is you wouldn't void a warranty if you flash. The Audi mechanics aren't stupid it will show on a new RS3 if you've flashed.

I just purchased a 2015 S3 with 56kmiles clean carfax. It was a lease for 3 owners. So i know it's clean and it never got whored around. Now i can flash ecu all I want and not worry about warranty voids.
Plus find yourself a reputable Audi Certified mechanic that will service your car without those outrageous dealership fees...