Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

2015 Audi S3 possible DSG slip or am I delusional?

Reactions
City
Sammamish
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3 Prestige
I intend to make my question concise and not full of all my boring and most likely incorrect speculations, but if someone who's owned an S3 longer than me can chime in on what happened with my car yesterday... I'd really appreciate that.

This is probably day 3 of owning my 115k mile Audi S3 prestige, I drove it home 3 hours from the dealer with no issues and absolutely 0 issues from the pre-inspection I got done with audi. The car does need alignment but thats about it.

I was going down one of the curvier roads near my home and its not wrong to say that i was "mashing the gears" its an s3.. what do you expect me to do. Anyways, I'm in manual mode and I shift into 3rd gear and the car sort of hesitates and the revs go up for a little bit but i feel no acceleration. then boom it kicks into its next gear and it feels fine after. I didn't feel any hesitation before or after this one occurrence. Car doesn't sound weird or act weird it was just this ONE occurrence that has me thinking somethings up. it happened for about give or take 1.5 seconds

What are some other things it could be? Maybe rev match hesitation? I was flooring it when the "slip up" happened and its not like the revs flew up, it rose pretty gradually and the car didnt move too much either.. but it did go to around give or take 4k rpm and not feel as throaty as it usually does when i floor it around there

Let me know what you guys think I guess
Thank you!

OP
Audi_Ambassador
Reactions
City
Sammamish
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #2
4th gear 4k rpms at 60ish mph flooring it in manual mode I feel the occasional 2 or 3 blips of power. Roads are wet, and it only happens at that gear. Is that the haldex detecting slip and kicking in feel?
that’s the gear and rpm the car feels like it’s putting down the most torque so id expect slipping for a second
feels like a .2 second kick or something

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
i know you said you got an inspection. so many questions and so many variables with this.

firstly, so a full scan. preferably with a ross tech vcds scan tool.
you'll want to next explain what the inspection consists of and from whom did you get it done by? hopefully a 3rd party did it and not the place where you bought the car at.

you have a ton of miles on it. so there is a ton of maintenance needed as well. that's the game with used cars.
look through our list of stuff to do here.
but its like a whole list of things that should be done to what needs to be done. to me both are the same and for the sake of remembering, i just do them all at the same time. an extra few thousand miles isn't going to hurt doing it sooner.

but do the scan first to see if anything has happen and report back.

J

Johnny

Have you driven a DSG before? If so, you should know that the computer controlling the gearbox adapts to the driver's style. The previous owner probably didn't have the same aggressive driving style as you do. Typically, you'll notice the car shifting a bit differently in the first few drives after you've changed your driving style. The DSG gearbox is like a smart little creature that learns from you – it observes how you accelerate, brake, and all that stuff. If you're the type to hit the gas hard and drive a bit sporty, the shifting pattern will gradually adapt to match your cool and dynamic driving style.
So, give your car a few days to learn to know you.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
he would need to reset/calibrate to have the system be in the relearn status. at this point its been driven a while and probably been out of the relearn mode for some time.

that can be also done with the vcds or obd11 tools.

i personally have been doing this to have a smoother ride. i have learned a lot about this section of the system. and that is just half of the transmission section.

most important part, is maintenance.

J

Johnny

"he would need to reset/calibrate to have the system be in the relearn status. at this point its been driven a while and probably been out of the relearn mode for some time. that can be also done with the vcds or obd11 tools. "

How do you reset/calibrate without VCDS or ODB11 tools?

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
cant do without them. pick one. they are pretty cheap and you'll be able to use it to do many other things. if you own a vw or audi.

J

Johnny

You wrote: "that can be also done with the vcds or obd11 tools.".
"also" ... Confusing wording as it cannot be done without one or another. Please edit your post and correct your statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
You wrote: "that can be also done with the vcds or obd11 tools.".
"also" ... Confusing wording as it cannot be done without one or another. Please edit your post and correct your statement.

hi johnny,
sorry if it sounds confusing to you but "also" does not mean one or another.
i used the word "or" to indicate an alternative selection in this scenario.

i am no grammar expert but i do believe i have used it correctly.
you may have misunderstood the words you are attempting to understand "or" my intentions to help our fellow member grasp the understanding of which tools he requires to fully diagnose his vehicle's symptoms.

i do thank you for your acute tentativeness "johnny" as my grammar skills will wane most of the time. i am lazy and sloppy, so everyone please forgive me for any future issues. ;):cool:

Last edited:
OP
Audi_Ambassador
Reactions
City
Sammamish
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #10
I got my preinspe
he would need to reset/calibrate to have the system be in the relearn status. at this point its been driven a while and probably been out of the relearn mode for some time.

that can be also done with the vcds or obd11 tools.

i personally have been doing this to have a smoother ride. i have learned a lot about this section of the system. and that is just half of the transmission section.

most important part, is maintenance.
I got my preinspection done at audi. The car has been driving good and I plan on replacing my spark plugs for NGK ones and APR coils.

I’m planning on getting a TCU + ECU tune from IE

Would that override the learning and let me drive it possibly more dynamically than the last owner and open it up?

J

Johnny

Audi_ambassador wrote: "I got my preinspection done at audi. I’m planning on getting a TCU + ECU tune from IE. Would that override the learning and let me drive it possibly more dynamically than the last owner and open it up?"

If you already were at Audi, why didn't you take the chance to ask them while you were there?