Engine Choice Questions

KirkK

Reactions
I'm considering the Atlas as our next car (FWD SE +Technology), and have driven the V6, and loved the car, but was less than impressed with the engine performance. We live in Arizona, where the average highway speed is around 80mph with AC on most of the time, and I'm concerned about the lackluster power output of the V6, and resulting poor fuel economy reported by many owners.

I just read a review of the 2.0T version of the Atlas by Car and Driver, and was surprised to see that the 0-60 performance for the 2.0T is actually better than the WR6. (7.2 seconds for the 4, vs 7.9 for the 6) The 6 cylinder version was a 4Motion so it had extra weight to carry around.

In your experience, is the FWD version of the V6 quicker, or does the improved torque characteristics of the 2.0T really make that much of a difference?

Just going by the Car & Driver article, the 2.0T appears to be a better choice than the 6. (if you're not towing)

Thanks for your comments!

GoBlue

Reactions
I know it's a bit heavy to come off the line, but I tend to put mine in sport mode due to transmission parameters that default to "economy" settings!
It helps with the shift gap a number of reviewers have identified. Yes....if the 6 Cylinder Boxer had been available, I would have checked off the box!

I have found the VR6 has been great, although I must admit, I don't think I will see 80* weather for some time....it snowed here today, so I have not driven in high country lean hot air.

That being said, once my V6 4motion is moving, I find it pretty responsive and has lots of go to pass.

Do I have enough grunt available to pull out safely and stay ahead of oncoming traffic?....Yes....
Am I going to win a light to light match against a WRX Subaru....no.

I might not even win a light to light against a determined Minivan driver with a big 6 if I am not in sport either.
Can I pull out at 50 MPH and blow by someone taking it up to 90? Yes.....

The sport mode on the 6 is fun....I have the added drivetrain weight and mass of the 4 wheel system to drag along...couldn't imagine that with the Turbo 4.

The Turbo4 will always want the 91 rated fuel every day. I suspect if you don't run 91 all the time you will wish you had the VR6 in economy mode.

I am not sure moving forward we will always be able to get the good stuff ( 91 or better ) all the time.....woops.....this is the Diesel Dog in me coming out, but in reality there are a lot more cars coming on the road over the next 2 years in North America that won't be running on "regular".
Just an observation as I have been on the road when you really need gas, and you take what they got! Cheers

rcworship

Reactions
I will say that the V6 is marginally more powerful than the 4 cyl, and that I wanted the 4 cyl for the very slightly better fuel economy, and also that I went with the FWD as opposed to the 4motion based on a desire for the slight improvement in fuel economy. With all that said, I would be concerned about the turbo going bad, which will be very expensive. My 2013 Passat TDI had the turbo crap out right at 107K, but they ended up offering an extended warranty to 110K (Whew!). For me, even though the performance is not much better, I chose the V6 because I believe it'll be less likely to fail when compared to the turbo 4. Some things to consider-these are just my thoughts. Good luck in the decision making process.

Reactions
I just bought my Atlas SE with tech. package, fwd, V6 and have been vacationing in the Colorado Rockies since. Driving from Texas and in the mountains for 2000 miles, I've had plenty of power to pass and climb hills, cruised some at eighty and the mileage has been over 22 mpg. I don't know if this is good, but my last car was a 04 3/4 ton suburban and I'm a happy camper with Atlas mileage and power.

Jim

Reactions
City
Moody
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Atlas
Have the 2.0T FWD. Mostly one or two passengers. Plenty of power. 28 mpg with the AC on Hwy. Haven't done mountains and elevation yet...
So far, quite happy with the 2.0T

MarkFL

Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 VW Atlas
The vehicle's use will determine the V6 or the 2.0T. If you're going to tow anything bigger than a jet ski, go for the V6. If you're like us and are looking for a nice road trip or town cruiser, you'll be happy with the 2.0TSI and thrilled with the fuel economy. I was VERY skeptical of all of these new larger vehicles coming with puny 2.0L turbo engines (I've always preferred a naturally aspirated V6 or larger 2.5 four cyl like Mazda uses). But I test drove the VW 2.0TSI and was blown away. Not only did it perform as well or better than a lot of V6s -- including the one in Honda's Passport -- is was smoooooth and quiet. None of that grumbling and vibration present in the older vintage 4cyl turbos. You're basically getting the Audi 2.0T with 235hp in the Atlas vs. Audi's 248. The Atlas' 2.0TSI is not the same as the Tigaun's.
If you can keep your foot out of the turbo, expect great mileage: On our last trip from Tampa Bay to Charlotte & back, we averaged just under 29 mpg. That's cruising between 65-75mph with the A/C on, 2 adults, 1 Golden Retriever and light luggage. Around town I get 23-24mpg. There's PLENTY of passing power when you need it!
I'm using premium 93 octane with the 2.0TSI. I've never used 87. But I've used 89 & 93 enough over the last year to definitely see better MPG and feel better power with the 93. It runs fine on 89, but I'd rather get the most out of the machine. The key is keeping your foot out of the turbo. ;-)

2022 Atlas SE 2.0TSI

Atlas Posts