Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Glitter like metal in haldex oil ~ should I be worried?

Reactions
City
Sammamish
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3 Prestige
2015 Audi s3 prestige
My haldex was completely not working, I knew this by doing a launch and taking a slow-mo vid. After the technicians replaced the pump and the oil, they noted that the oil had little shimmering pieces of metal in it. The shop I took it to does specialize in Audis, but they might not know too much about the 8V S3 specifically. Since the old pump was completely not working, are those metal shavings expected? The haldex is now working with the new pump, but they told me I should be driving hard on it at all since some metal coupling on the haldex system itself is where the metal shavings are coming from. Should I be worried?

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
depends on how much metal was in there.

launching these things is always going to wear down components.
i personally dont launch. i had a manual car before and i attempted launches on those cars. i do my own repairs and maintenance.

i dont do launches anymore on manuals. the reason i say manuals because they have a much easier clutch replacement process.

with automatics, its amazing how they say its okay to launch them after knowing how automatics work. i would never do launches on automatics unless it wasn't my car.

i dont see much metal shavings in my oils. some but nothing I'm worried about or to even note about.

OP
Audi_Ambassador
Reactions
City
Sammamish
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #3
depends on how much metal was in there.

launching these things is always going to wear down components.
i personally dont launch. i had a manual car before and i attempted launches on those cars. i do my own repairs and maintenance.

i dont do launches anymore on manuals. the reason i say manuals because they have a much easier clutch replacement process.

with automatics, its amazing how they say its okay to launch them after knowing how automatics work. i would never do launches on automatics unless it wasn't my car.

i dont see much metal shavings in my oils. some but nothing I'm worried about or to even note about.
2nd launch control within 5 mins I get a “transmission overheated, please adapt driving”

the message went away before I could even barely finish reading it. Am I ok? Is this normal? I was driving it pretty hard like I usually do before I went and did the launches. I don’t plan on launching ever again. I just want to know I haven’t messed up my transmission with this message popping up. Thank you

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
did you change out the fluids in the rear or the front trans?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D For Sale 0
D New Member Introduction 2