Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Would you buy this tuned Mk7 Golf R?

Reactions
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen
As the title states, I have found a golf R for sale near me I am interested in! Want you guys (the pros) opinions.

2016 Golf R
90K miles
DSG
19K is asking price

APR Stage II tuned
-APR Downpipe
-APR Intake
-APR Exhaust

I met up and test drove it. The guy was older, and was a total tool. He acted like a frat boy. Didn't have any maintenance records beside oil changes. New tires, battery, etc. He bought and drove it 30K Miles. I purchased a carfax, and it also doesnt have too many maintenance records from any of the previous owners. There is damage reported, but none visible on the car. Not sure what that's about. Clean title, no theft or anything else like that. Usually with this amount of uncertainty, I would just pass, but the price is really good. It was a blast to drive. Its been sitting a month or two and I get the sense I am the only interested buyer (the car is located up in a rural mountain town near me, and only listed on one website so not great exposure). I was thinking about asking to get it inspected by a VW dealer near me.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth paying for an inspection? If there is nothing on the inspection report, would you jump on it? Why or why not?

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
im pretty biased.
i dont buy used cars...:(
i dont buy used cars that have mods...:confused:
i dont buy used cars that have mods that is audi, BMW, or Mercedes. :cautious:

so with that said, be prepared to repair. if you can wrench, which i assume you dont :unsure: i might be wrong, you might be able to save money on labor. do expect to start fixing this guy's hands-off maintenance approach. this is an assumption, but from your description, it might be a spot-on assumption.

i feel that he might have experienced something he didn't want to fix, so he now wants to unload the issue. i might be wrong but who knows.

you should always pay for inspections if your not familiar.
the carfax reports are just 10% of whats really going on with any car. there is so much more you'll want to research, but the best research is to take apart the car to find out what's up. any physical inspection, which can include taking oil samples from all the areas to electrical scans, and physical views of the hidden areas, is a must. even with doing all that, you'll probably only be able to protect yourself to around 40% to 50%. the rest is where only time can show you what will break.

just so you are aware, even brand-new cars break. The advantage of new cars is you have a warranty. many people never see how a warranty is important until they have something break when there is no more warranty.

Modifying these cars just accelerates the failure rate of certain components. abuse raises that rate, and owner neglect of maintenance will just make it a ticking time bomb of expensive repairs.

so that great looking price, how does it look to you after you do a deeper dive on the current condition. let us know down below. please click and subscribe. :p:cool:

J

Johnny

Would never buy that car!
Our moderator made a nice and clever summary:

Modifying these cars just accelerates the failure rate of certain components. abuse raises that rate, and owner neglect of maintenance will just make it a ticking time bomb of expensive repairs.

R10cmz

Reactions
City
Birmingham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Mk7 Golf R
90k miles with them short of performance mods I wouldn’t risk it !!

Unless it has a full service history and paperwork for everything.

On the other hand if you wasn’t planning on using it for everyday day use and solely as a track car or show car then maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk