City
North Huntingdon
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2023 VW Atlas SE with Tech
I recently took ownership of a 2023 Atlas SE w/Tech VR6 and have noticed a couple of things. It came with the LED headlights with what I thought were outside lights being low beam and the inside lights (closest to the grill) being high beam. That is not the case. The inside “lenses” are empty (no bulbs) and the cornering/fog lights are housed in the side of the headlight housing closest to the grill. The DRL (daytime running lights) are the little thin lights below the main headlights, of which there are 2 per side. The outside lights light up but the inside lights do not. I know this is because only higher trim models, SEL & up, have 2 sets of DRL. I’m also not 100% sure why they’d put the fog/cornering lights up as high as they did. My 2018 Atlas SE w/Tech had the fog/cornering lights down below the bumper cover and gave better ground coverage.
The other concern I have, is that it’s missing the lane assist (or lane departure warning), and I can’t figure it out. I have the icon on my digital dash, between the clock and temp, but it’s white and does not light up. It doesn’t even give me the option of activating it. I have speed, ACC, cruise control, side assist, rear traffic alert, front assist, and that’s it. Not sure if this is something not available on my trim level but everything I’ve read says that it’s standard feature. It was standard on my ‘18 Atlas
Thank you for any help or assistance. Attaching photos for dash reference

Attachments

MarkFL

Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 VW Atlas
1. For some reason -- probably cost cutting -- VW Atlas really doesn't have "fog lights," which are traditionally mounted separately and much lower than the headlight housing. Instead VW gives us, "Poor Weather Lights." I've messed with these in the dark garage to figure out what they are supposed to do. Turn your headlight switch to Auto or Full-on and pull out on the knob. You'll see the green Poor Weather Lights indicator next to the knob. From what I could see in the garage, the Poor Weather Lights shoot some light out to the sides of the vehicle and not much else. I've used them in fog and there is really no visibility difference, compared to my past vehicles that had real fog lights.
2. I don't have lane assist either on my '22 SE -- only the amber lane change indicators that light up in the side mirrors when there is a vehicle next to you. Overall, I cannot say that I'm impressed with the electronics features on my Atlas, especially the entertainment unit and the vehicle settings. It's a shame, as the vehicle drives beautifully for a large SUV.
3. The instrumentation is actually silly. There is no setting to bring up the tach & speedometer on screen at the same time. Seriously, who drives around with only the tach on the screen? I wrote to VW and told them to grab a Mazda CX5 Touring and check out the electronics, which are incredible and far more intuitive.

Atlas Posts